Saturday, October 01, 2011

Back on the meal planning band wagon

Hello folks - In attempt to have some type of schedule in our house with school, Awana, and all the other things that come up...I am jumping back on the band wagon of meal planning and attempting to buy my needs for my family on sale.  I didn't say that I would be jumping back on the couponing bandwagon...as my binder sits on my computer hutch haunting me.  It is SO so hard not to do couponing and buying things that aren't on sale...but something had to go and unfortunately it was that.  In my optimistic mind, I still save the coupon inserts thinking, "This will be the week I get back to that."  Seeing that I have several stacks there...those coupon inserts haven't made the necessity list yet.

I still do freezer cooking, but have found it beneficial to split the month with someone.  The past two months have been with my sister, Becca.  I love to have a meal already completed so that on those crazy nights or weeks, I can fall back onto them.  With less freezer meals, I get to open my recipe books again, begin searching for recipes that include the ingredients that I have in my cupboard.  I do love doing this...but yet again it takes time.  Time that is limited...but if I don't make time for it now, we will spend many a nights with $10 pizza from Pizza Hut or other fast food options.  This meal planning, freezer cooking, and searching for recipes all helps me keep to the original purpose of family dinners...FAMILY TIME.  The boys are full of stories these days.  Without supper, I find that I don't have time to ask and dig into their days to get to those great stories.  With all of this jibber jabber comes...my meal plan for the next two weeks.  I am going back to planning two weeks in advance.  This week I had to plan two weeks, but next week I will just plan for the next week.  This way I can look at the sale ads, the items in my cupboard/freezer and plan cheaper meals with variety.  Hope you are all finding ways to find your family more money and most of all...MORE TIME for your FAMILY!

This week: **denotes Freezer meal
Monday - Tacos
Tuesday - Roast with Carrots and Potatoe in Crock Pot**
Wednesday - Chicken with broccoli
Thursday - Montery Jack Chicken** with rice and beans
Friday - Brisket w/ potatoes** in crock pot
Saturday - L: Shrimp on grill** with rice  D: Homemade pizza with sausage
Sunday: L: Out to eat D: Leftover buffet
**What do I need to buy this week?  only milk, tomatoes, lettus and cottage cheese (for next week)

Next Week:
Monday: BBQ Meatballs** with peas
Tuesday: Homemade Spaghetti sauce with corn (make extra to make a lasagna)
Wednesday: Beer-braised Beef and Noodles
Thursday: Manicotti** with veggie - hopefully annie and crew are here
Friday: Enchiladas with beans and rice
Saturday: L: Chicken Pot Pie**  D: Homemade Pizza with pepperoni
Sunday: L: Out to eat  D: Smoked Pork Loin w/ veggie
*I only need to buy milk for this week.

Ahh it feels good again to have time to blog about my homemaking.  I am not saying that I do it correctly or even how it should be, but it is just fun to share how I do things.  I feel that I need to do this as I find so many other helpful things on others sights.  It is just about piece mealing things that work for your family.  Have a great weekend!
Rhi

No comments: