Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Meal plan for this week

This weekend was bittersweet w/ getting to spend an entire day w/ my sister Becca, but saying goodbye to my other sister Andrea. Her family moved to Boise, ID to open a Complete Nutrition store. They arrived safely yesterday and had neighbors help them move 1/2 the truck into the house. This was a huge blessing as my sister can't help (pregnant) and Jeremy's dad has a bad back. He is the only other person they know that drove the moving van out. W/ that being said, I am late in getting my meal plan out this week.

Monday: OVER

Tuesday: Hamburgers and homemade ff and grilled asparagus (last nice day here)

Wednesday: PATTON's BDAY! We get to go to Red Robin before Awana w/ my grandparents. Such a treat!

Thursday: Chicken cacciatore *

Friday: May go out w/ adult friends and no children or go to State Volleyball

Saturday: May to go Grand Island for State finals OR STAY HOME ALL DAY:)
If home:
L: Chicken breast and veggies
D: Beefy Vegetable Soup

Sunday: (do Sat menu if not here on Sat)
L: leftovers
D: Lasagna w/ green beans (if things go on sale this week (cross my fingers) I plan to do my 20 lasagnas this Sunday for December's freezer cooking)

I have been challenged w/ my menu planning this week and for a long time. I was recently given the challenge of having gestational diabetes. It is amazing w/ monitoring the carbs I get...or actually paying the least bit of attention to it, my sugars have actually been super low instead of super high. Simple substitutions like celery instead of chips for my sister Becca's awesome Buffalo Chicken dip, focusing on green versus brown (starches) to find a side for meals. It isn't that hard...just needed to actually pay attention to it.

As many of you know, I have been shopping sales only the past two years. Today was the first time in a long time that I actually bought broccolli and cucumbers NOT on sale. Yes it was hard and had to do alittle self talk through the whole process of getting the bag not paying attention to the price and putting it in my cart and keeping it there. I am going to TRY to put a salad together for every meal. There isn't much nutrition in a salad...but there is definitely less carbs in a salad than a 2nd or 1st heaping helping of rice, pasta or potatoes:)

I have the opportunity to work w/ several diabetics and some who have lost limbs to the disease. This is MAJOR motivation to not only change my lifestyle but also teach my boys and family proper portions of starches so we can possibly eliminate our increased chances of diabetes later in life. I am not eliminating starches...but just monitoring them. We will see how well we do...pasta, rice or potatoes are a STAPLE in my house...so this should be interesting.

Have a great week!
Rhiannon

1 comment:

kayder1996 said...

Sorry to hear that you're deal with gestational dibetes. But maybe the healthy benefits will be a blessing. Derek's brother is in Boise. It is just a bit too far to really get there in one day on an airplane (no direct flights) and definitly a multi day care ride. Hopefully, you'll get to see them soon.