Monday, March 29, 2010

Meal Planning Monday

I am super glad that I planned two weeks of meals last week...or we might be in trouble this week. I have a great friend who has brought some new light to saving money on groceries. She uses the philosophy that the Grocery Cart Challenge uses...only buy what you need that week. THis way you don't have a lot "money" sitting on your shelves in your house but in your pocket.

I do agree with this and find myself always bargain hunting...but if I would stop hunting for a minute and look at my cupboards I would find that we could life off the "wild" of my cupboards and I can take a break from hunting. I came to a huge realization when we recently received a 1/4 of a beef. We have not gotten a beef for a couple years (I stretched a 1/2 a beef into two years:)), so it was time for me to clean out the freezer. I have found that I have bargain hunted with lots of meat that were just sitting and waiting for me to use them. I have decided to try the Eat out of my Pantry Challenge (like in January) for the month of April. I do feel that I won't have many groceries except milk and fresh produce. We will see how I do.

To start me off I decided to eat from my pantry this week as well:

Monday: Whole Chicken in the Crockpot with asparagus
Tuesday: Beef and Noodles (freezer cooking meal)
Wednesday: Homemade spaghetti (frozen sauce found in freezer)
Thursday: Ham and Scalloped potatoes...or taking any Ham recipes. I have 1/2 a ham to do something with...any suggestions?
Friday: Lunch - mac and cheese Dinner: Soup at a friend's
Saturday-Sunday-Monday: At Elge's
Monday night: Left overs/canned soup or something

Have a great week!

No comments: