Monday, March 29, 2010

Water and Weather

Tonight the boys were so excited to play outside. They were MORE than wound up. My grandparents called on their way back from Minnesota and asked about supper. I had made a chicken in the crockpot and offered it to them, but they said they needed to get going. They were going to stop by though...okay...I will make cookies. I get out the package and begin to make them. No eggs. Called Yoshi, our neighbor that is similiar to the Dennis the Mennis and Mr. Wilson's relationship. She lives two doors down with no street to cross so the boys go over there all the time to say hi and oh get about 5 suckers. I called and asked if we could have an egg. Kenner was so excited to go run an errand for me. The errand was successful. He returned with a whole egg...no cracks.



I put the cookies in the oven and went about my business. I checked on the boys outside. Redirected them from throwing balls at the windows, redirected them from throwing the balls at the cars, and urged Patton to put his shirt back on. I went in to get a camera to document how cute (although arnry (sp)) Patton looked. As I walked into the kitchen I hear the water running. I immedieately thought, "Hmm I didn't turn on the dish washer." Then I hear a rush of water in the basement. AHHHHHHH I rushed down the stairs to find a gush of water pouring from around the water heater. Beside the water heater is our shut off valve. In the split seconds, I thought I will be burned if I go over there. I scream, "Help" as if anyone is going to hear me or help me...Casey is not home by this point. I felt a splash on me and it was freezing water.

It was okay to "dive" in and wade over to the shut off valve. Then I thought, "I really wish Casey would have shown me which one it was. So I turn one valve...wrong one - I got drenched with the drain for the sprinkler system. Then I discovered that my two monkeys had turned on the water outside. They were thinking it was summer and they needed to get a drink of water from outside. After trying one other valve, I dashed upstairs out the door and of course I am screaming..."NO WATER, NO WATER." I turned off the water and it was done.

Water everywhere, one soaked mommy and two boys just having the time of their life in the nice spring weather. Ahh the joys of being a mom! I am glad that my mom was obsessed with rubbermaid tubs...because everything was in one and nothing was ruined.
I got my basement floors cleaned:) and we also discovered that our sprinkler's froze this winter. It could have been a lot worse. It could be a month from now and I just turn on the water from outside and let it run for a while only to find out later that the water was not only going on my plants but all over my basement while we were outside playing. It could always be worse:)

1 comment:

NUSLP said...

I did remember the cookies and my grandparents did come. So it was a treat in the end to have cookies with my grandparents:)