Monday, June 28, 2010

Vacation Bible School - Puppet Parable Style

Last week was Vaction Bible School at Zion Church in Lincoln. It was Patton first time at VBS (and he was a BIG boy - wore underwear - all week!)!!!! I was able to organize and do the craft section all week. I only had 20 minutes with each group. It was a lot of fun!

Here are the puppets showing - The Pearl of Great Price. The boys loved going to the "puppet show" everyday. The first day was The Good Samaritan. The Good Samaritan craft varied for the big kids and the younger kids. Everyone except the oldest group colored a picture (of their choice) and then put bandaids on it. The oldest group painted ice cream buckets with tempera paint for our senior saints (or the older population) in our church. I will be putting tissue paper, a flower and some candy in and delivering them.
The Sower and the Seed (or soil, like I called it) craft was inspired by my Kindergarten friends from school. I used a "sight word" book idea for each day.
Title page:
Packed soil - I cut brown construction paper so all they had to do was glue it down and stamp an eagle and place a "seed" or bling found in the craft section at Walmart.
For the stony ground, each child colored over a door mat to make the stony ground, colored the sun and put on the seed. I choose the seed and other designs so that it too close to no time to dry.
For the thorny ground - I put a strip of tape on the table (sticky side up) and had them place the toothpicks on it. Then they stuck it to the paper and put the seed on.
For the good soil - I had them draw their own creation of good soil and a pretty plant. It was a fun activity for all the ages. The time FLEW this day!
For the Lost Sheep Parable, I found a printable sheep that folded and the younger two groups glued (with glue sticks) cotton balls down and colored the sheep's face and legs.
For the Lost Sheep Parable for the big kids, I found the yarn sheep pattern from Family Fun. They had a lot of fun making it.
We also did the parable of the Pearl of Great Worth, which was a paper plate folded in half with shredded paper glued down with a white pom pom for the pearl. The last parable was probably the most fun after it dried...House on a Rock. I used shaving cream, black tempera paint and glue to have the kids make the rock and they used foam sheets to create a foam house. The rocks dried in 3D
Here is Patton and the dreaded tag that flew up in his eye and scratched it. He did so well.

No comments: