Friday, August 01, 2008

ER - in and out

Today was quite eventful with our first day waking up at 7:00 for a long time in order to get to Crete to set up and ready to "open" our garage sale at 8:00. Day was going well, I had snacks, lunch, drinks, rest of the garage sale things packed. I woke up the boys, gave them some chocolate chip banana muffin bread and milk on the porch and we were off to Crete.

We got to Crete at 7:45 and we were frantically setting up with all the people coming. Around 9:30 things were getting settled down and Kris, our babysitter came. I brought things I had boughten for the daycare in my car and I went to get them and I discovered the chewable fruity pills I took last week for my vertigo were spilled all over my front seat and there were some that were wet and looked as if someone has spit them back in. I took the jar and conversed with everyone about what they thought I should do. I estimated that he took from 10-30 of them.

I called poison control and they told me to take him to the hospital. So leaving Heather high and dry at the Garage sale, Kenner (who opened the child proof cap and ate them) and Patton and I went to the ER.

They have an excellent staff there and they were able to get Kenner to drink 20+ ounces of a sprite, cherry, charcol (sp?) mixture first with a little cup and then a sringe. I wasn't taking this too serious, because the pills are really fruity so the fruit smell decieved me that they weren't too good in a quantity of 13 at a time. I did reach for my camera to get a pic of his black teeth, because that is all I thought they were going to do. Fooled both Kenner and I! They had to put an IV in him to get him some fluids to wash it out.

I was really good holding him down...he is a strong guy. But it took forever, because he has such little veins. Once they had it in him and he was able to be in my arms....the flood gates opened! I felt so bad and I couldn't stop crying.

Daddy came to pick up Patton and they hung out at home all afternoon, while Kenner and I hung out at the hospital until 6:00 tonight. Kenner got to watch cartoons ALL DAY! I am glad now that we don't have cable...there are cartoons available all day long on cable! I don't remember the last time I sat and did NOTHING for 6 hours. It was very hard for me, but Kenner and I talked about the cartoons and just had fun - BUT NOT TOO MUCH FUN. Whenever we would laugh I would ask him, what is something you will never get into anymore. Kenner's answer with tears, "Mommy's Medicine." We toured the hospital SEVERAL times, got fed snack (me included:), and just vegged.

On the way out the doctor told Kenner that she would give him a beanie baby. He picked the penguin (except that it was an eagle...new vocab word for the day - eagle) and he said, "Thank you, can I get one for Bubbi?" That just melted my heart and I knew that Kenner was okay.

I did stop and pick up my camera at the place of the garage sale and took a pic of Kenner on the way home. Poor guy was so tired. But you can see his eagle and then the Looney Tunes rooster for Bubbi! See his purple bandage. He got to play doctor after they put the IV in. I got a purple bandage just like him from Dr. Svitak.

Praise God for great doctors, willing patience, and a healthy little boy!

1 comment:

Astraea said...

Dude, no more eating medicine!!! We're so glad you're okay.